Topic: Confirmed Going! September 23rd - 24th: Okukinu Wild Onsen Camp  (Read 717 times)

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): Japan
  • Hiking Level (ハイキングレベル): Above Beginner (初級上)
Title & Date (タイトル, 日付): Confirmed Going September 23rd - 24th: Okukinu Wild Onsen Camp (weather is good)

Updates: So far  Marcb, Mami, Hiro and Nozomi, Andy, Janis, Asae, Kana

-----------------------------
The camp and onsen is the first bath place, not at the sulfur vent another hour up the river. We should do a hike up to the sulfur vent on Sunday AM - it's a national treasure. Return and pack up. Head back down around noon to catch the last bus at 1527.
-------------------------------

If we wait for perfect weather, we miss the chance. Weather looks ok for this weekend.

Anyone else interested? Sign up on this website if interested.

Andy recommended this trip. I’m proposing to do this trip next weekend.  I can read map/sign posts, check train/bus schedule, etc. and I need someone intermediate or advanced level to help me organize this event. The path is damaged by typhoon that hit the area a few years ago on a few places, but people should have made a path. !

Saturday
Start hike about 11.30am from bus stop. It is 2 hours 30 minutes along river. Plastic sandals needed for 20-30cm river crossing.
At the onsen spot we might have to drain and clean the pools, even dig a little moving rocks. Usually there is a shovel there and large sheets to line the pools.
After hole is drained/cleaned we wash the sheet and put back in. Then fill up with clean hot water. Can adjust with river water.

Tent spots near to bath and we can make camp fire. Perhaps hot spiced wine.
There is a national treasure spot up the valley another hour if people want to hike there. Big sulphur vent at waterfall.

Sunday
Walk back down to bus stop.
Choice of visiting onsen valley and enjoy other baths (a lot of choice and 500en mostly), or do other hike.

Event Grade (イベント等級)

Fitness 2 Moderate. Technical 2 - Moderate, not for beginners. Only for intermediate level hikers.  (need to cross small river about 20-30cm deep a few times so have to say technical 2).
Walk is about 2 hours and 30 minutes along river valley to wild hot spring. Very little climbing.

http://outdoorclubjapan.com/index.php?page=event_grade_safety

http://outdoorclubjapan.com/index.php?page=event_grade_safety_jp

Things to Bring (持参するもの)
Camping equipment needed - at least sleeping bag and cheap sleeping mat. Plastic sheet or tent.
Cheap 100en plastic sandals are needed for crossing the river and making the hot spring. Best with toe protection like crocks.
Warm clothing will be needed - cold at night!
Bring rainwear in case of rain.

Courtesy
In the bath we will wear swimsuit/shorts!

Travel Details, Meeting Time & Place (旅行の詳細, 集合時間と場所)
Code:
Only registered/paid OCJ members can see travel details.  If you are a member then Login.登録されたOCJ会員だけが旅行の詳細を見ることができます。 あなたがメンバーの場合は、 Login.Bus outside station on the left about 70m away (next to car rental). It goes to Mie-oto-buchi onsen. Queue early as seats may fill up.

Bus Timetable
http://www.city.nikko.lg.jp/seikatsuanzen/guide/seikatsu/bus/documents/kinugawameotobutisen.pdf

Code:
Only registered/paid OCJ members can see travel details.  If you are a member then Login.登録されたOCJ会員だけが旅行の詳細を見ることができます。 あなたがメンバーの場合は、 Login.
Last bus back Sunday is about 1525pm. People returning early must get 1245pm bus.

Cost (費用)
Train 1,500en plus 1,500en for the reserved seat, oneway at station.
Bus about 1,500en oneway.
« Last Edit: Fri Sep 22, 2017, 07:30 AM by yogini1 »

Offline marcb

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): French
  • Hiking Level (ハイキングレベル): Experienced (経験)
Re: Confirmed Going! September 23rd - 24th: Okukinu Wild Onsen Camp
« Reply #1 on: Tue Aug 29, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Hello yogini1,
Nice to see someone else is interested in this trip!
I would be happy to join and help with organization BUT this week-end (and the next) are not the best for me. Is it the only possible date for you?
Maybe we could do this on the 16/17 or 23/24? (I must admit that the sunny forecast IS a pretty solid argument though :) )

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #2 on: Tue Aug 29, 2017, 01:24 PM »
Hi,  Marcb. Glad to have someone who is advanced level to help me organize the event! My name is Nozomi.
16-17 or 23-24 work for me. Let's decide as we get more closer and know the weather forecast for those days.

Nozomi

Offline marcb

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #3 on: Tue Aug 29, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Great!
I've been looking at the map (I have been to Oze marshland and mountains, so I have the Yamatokogen from this year on my phone). They still mark something like "important collapse, going is difficult" at one specific point just before the dam, and they do not give a walking time. So probably not a piece of cake. I have about 20m of thinnish spectra rope (rated for 450kg, not elastic) that I can bring just in case.
If we leave at 8:00am from Asakusa we could hope to start the hike at something like 11:30 right? Even counting 3h or more that leaves us a good margin to get to the camp not too late if we are really slow, and even the possibility to turn back if we can't pass the damaged part (which is more or less halfway).
In the other thread Jurga mentioned bears... I have never seen any sign of bear presence in the Japanese mountains so far, I suppose they go to place people do not hike. Still I have a can of bearspray I got for my trip to Hokkaido that I could bring, if needed.

Offline andy duggan

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): British
  • Hiking Level (ハイキングレベル): Advanced or high level (上級)
« Reply #4 on: Tue Aug 29, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Bears
I would not worry too much about the Honshu bears. Saw my first in Nikko (1m apart) and crossed paths with many others over 23 years. They almost always run away and will not attack a person without a very good reason - defending themselves.
If you do not run straight at them (like idiot climber did in Okutama with headphones on) they  will move away when they hear you. I only heard of 1 case in Okutama that a bear jumped out and attacked - I guess they have bad days and mental problems also... it is a very very small percentage. For them, attacking means going into a possible life threatening injury situation.

Safety rope is always a good option on intermediate hikes.
« Last Edit: Wed Aug 30, 2017, 10:59 PM by andy duggan »

Offline marcb

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #5 on: Thu Sep 14, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Hey Andy, thanks for the heads up on bears. Having spent some time in Canada I am always amazed at how people are relaxed about bears here :D and I tend to follow the trend actually.

Anyway, it seems we got a typhoon possibly heading our way this week-end, so that moves this trip to at least next week-end.

In the meantime, it would be nice if people potentially interested by joining could just make themselves known, so we have a vague idea of how many we'd be etc.

Offline andy duggan

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #6 on: Fri Sep 15, 2017, 03:02 AM »
It will need reposting with a new fixed date before people sign up (and good weather forecast). I know a few that are probably very interested. We often we had 6-12 people but these days I think you can expect 5+ people if the weather is ok.

You might be lucky around the 23rd but just before and after the equinox is usually bad weather. Around the 15th(+) October usually beautiful autumn colours but it can be very cold then. Worth going before then if chance, and again for autumn colours - I used to go there every autumn for over 10 years. 

Onsen Valley
If an extra day, the valley at the end of the road has several good 500 yen hot springs. Also ok to camp by river about 20 minutes before Hacho-no-yu (my favourite - just past waterfall and spring water at wide point in river valley). They will let you go back at night for no extra charge. Kani yu is worth a bath for the white water. Along that valley is a very easy walking path - at the last bus stop do not walk over the bridge, go past the barriers and stay on the right side of the river 100m then cross stream and go to the hiking footbridge - shortcut.
Even winter is ok here.

https://www.8tyo-no-yu.co.jp/

Weather

As of Tuesday 19th the weather forecast is grade C reliable= very unreliable, so do not worry about rain (50% chance most forecasts) yet.
Only 1 site says rain for sure but that does not mean it is wet all day - often I have been and it only rains for a short time then rest of day is fine. 90% chance of rain does not mean it rains all day.

I would use an average of all these forecasts:
Remember the forecast at the top of the mountain is usually worse than the valley - where you will be.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/316.html 

Gunma Hotaka
http://www.tenki.jp/mountain/famous100/3/13/137.html

http://tenkura.n-kishou.co.jp/tk/kanko/kad.html?code=10150013&type=15&ba=kk

Nikko Shirane

http://www.tenki.jp/mountain/famous100/3/12/134.html

http://tenkura.n-kishou.co.jp/tk/kanko/kad.html?code=09150005&type=15&ba=kk

Yahoo camp forecast

Minakami (will be wetter than okukinu)
https://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/leisure/autocamp/10/23050.html

Nikko
https://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/leisure/autocamp/9/23048.html
« Last Edit: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 01:12 AM by andy duggan »

Offline murakam

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): Japanese
  • Hiking Level (ハイキングレベル): Intermediate (中級)
« Reply #7 on: Sun Sep 17, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Hello,

I'm interested in this event.  :)

Mami

Offline Hiro

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Hiking Level (ハイキングレベル): Beginner (初心者)
« Reply #8 on: Mon Sep 18, 2017, 10:33 AM »
If the weather is good.
I'd like to join :)

Offline marcb

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #9 on: Wed Sep 20, 2017, 11:44 PM »
Hello everyone,
Weather for this week-end is still undecided it seems, probably a bit variable.
I can go this week-end, or the next, or after. No specific plans so far. Except Gordon, other prefer this week/the next?
In the meantime, we can start looking at some organization: does everyone have everything they need? Where to meet exactly in Asakusa? I read spiced wine somewhere... should I bring wine or spice, or both :D? etc.

Marc

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #10 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Hi Marcb,

Here is the recipe for spiced wine:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2796/spiced-wine

I will check the weather for this weekend after 3pm today and decide whether we cancel the trip or not.

I'll be taking 0812 train from Kitasenju.

Meeting place will be either on the train or at ticket gate in Kinugawa Onsen station.

Try to be at Asakusa station 10-15 minutes earlier to allow for time to buy reserved seat ticket,

Hope the weather improves.

Nozomi

Offline andy duggan

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #11 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 06:47 PM »
The weather is good - no rain!
It is sunny on Sunday. If you wait for sunshine both days - maybe you will not have a chance to go.... until winter when it is too cold and too dangerous. For that area this is good weather.
« Last Edit: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 06:52 PM by andy duggan »

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #12 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I reposted the event with comment "confirmed going." Let's not cancel this trip and do it this weekend. Weather may not be perfect, but it will get colder in this area in Oct-Nov.

Nozomi

Offline Janis.KTM

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): German
« Reply #13 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I would like to join the event as well. Sorry for short term.
This would be the first time for me to join an ocj event but i did already some hiking in Japan and i got all the gear needed.
Hope it is okay to join you.

Cheers
Janis

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #14 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Hi Janis,

We are very welcome to have a new member in this event.

Look forward to hiking with you!

Nozomi

Offline marcb

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #15 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Hey all,

Cool, let's do this!
(Janis: I don't think the short notice is any trouble at all, just be on the right train and we're good to go!)
Weather should be mostly fine, if not spectacular, and a bit of rain should not be a bit deal. Indeed it might never get much better until winter.

Temperature should be in the 10-20C range, dress accordingly! (beginners, if any: ask if you are unsure)

What I'll bring, in addition to my gear, and some food for myself:
- snacks to share
- 15~m of spectra line, pretty thin but still rated to 400kg. Not something to rappel down of but should work as hand safety if we ever need it, that's the only rope I have anyway
- the yamatokogen map of the area (on my phone)
- some wine for the spiced wine (Nozomi: I don't know if I'll have the time to find the spices though, could you bring some?) (and I have only a small pot to brew it, but I guess others will have small pots and we can join forces :D)
- maybe some cards game?

Also I usually hike with poles when the terrain is nasty (I need them to pitch my tent anyway) so I'll have them and I can lend them for crossing river or if someone has trouble moving on.

It might be useful to have a large-ish tarp we can setup in the camp in case it rains? So we don't have to choose between staying in the rain and hiding in our tents... anyone has one? (I'll happily carry it but I don't have one!)

Last, what should we use to communicate? Do you guys and girls use Whatsapp? Facebook? (I don't have Line yet but I can install it)

Marc

Offline Janis.KTM

• Registered
  • Paid Member
  • Nationality (国籍): German
« Reply #16 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Perfect :)
I'll bring some food for me, some snacks to share, a tent for 2 people, gas cooker, some emergency and macgyver stuff (bivy/tape/cords/waterfilter/etc.), cards, etc.
I don't have a tarp unfortunately.

Should i buy some more wine or anything?
Otherwise I'll bring some beer instead :)

For communication I'm okay with Facebook, WhatsApp and line but not sure if we should post everything here in the comments?
Facebook name: Janis oeder

Cheers
Janis

Offline yogini1

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #17 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Sure Marcb, I'll bring spices, ginger and lemon to put in the spiced wine.

I left my mobile phone number in the chat box. Call me or text me if you need any help.

The phone number will be automatically deleted in the chat box sometime after the event.

Nozomi

Nozomi

Offline Hiro

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #18 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 11:10 PM »
I would like to join this event :)
Hiro

Offline asa

• Registered
  • Paid Member
« Reply #19 on: Thu Sep 21, 2017, 11:18 PM »
I would like to join too!

Post Comment or Link