Volunteer tour vol.2 to Rikuzen-Takata, Iwate from 8th night to 10 night of July

Anyone can attend. Usually no event fee except if hire costs or overnight events.
Forum rules
We do not answer questions about your private holiday events
Anyone can attend - just reply to event topic.
You accept legal responsibility for yourself, your property, and travel arrangments if attending these events.
Tomoko Mabuchi

Volunteer tour vol.2 to Rikuzen-Takata, Iwate from 8th night to 10 night of July

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

I brought 5 people for volunteering to Kesen-numa in June and it was success. Then I have decided to do volunteer tour again. This time we will go to Rikuzan-Takata, Iwate prefecture, which is said to be the most damaged area by the tsunami. I visited this area once and the damage was really devastating. I can't express what I saw there with my poor words.If you wanna join, please post by 5pm on 1st of July, since I need to arrange a rent-a-car(s) and accommodation.
Even after this due date, you may be able to join if there is available space in the car and place we will stay. Please ask me.
This is social event and your friends are also welcome!If you attend, all you need to do is (1) prepare your gear, (2) get your volunteer insurance (if it's difficult to do it by yourself, e-mail me), and (3) book your night bus ticket (if it's difficult to do it by yourself, e-mail me).
Also, please let me know following 3 items: (1) whether you can drive a car or not, (2) whether you have volunteer insurance or not and if not whether you want me to apply for you and which level you want to get, and (3) whether you want me to book your bus ticket or not.
However, you do NOT need to buy the return shinkansen ticket by yourself as I will do that.Please note that I will be out of Japan from June 25th to 28th, and I'm not sure if I can check e-mail or not in that time. I will reply to all on 29th.<Cost>
Around 20,000yen for transportation (night bus, rent-a-car and shinkansen) and accommodation. If you buy your gear, it will be 5,000 - 10,000 yen depending on what you buy and the quality.
Volunteer insurance is required. There are 3 levels depending on the amount of coverage.
If you need the insurance, let me know. We can get it together.<Place>
Rikuzen-Takata disaster volunteer center (陸前高田災害ボランティアセンター) http://rikutaka.ti-da.net/c183533.html
Address:陸前高田市横田町字狩集96-3
Tel 090-2852-9736
Map:http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&sourc ... 141.584952 <Transportation>
We will take a night bus from Shinjuku to Ichinoseki at 11:30pm on 8th of July. It's 3,800yen. http://www.bus-ichiba.jp/schedule/cat635/down/
We will arrive at Ichinoseki station before 8am.We can wash our faces and change cloths at Ichinoseki station and pick up the rent-a-car(s).
Then we will drive to the volunteer center, which will take 2 hours.
On 10th of July, we will drive back to Ichinoseki station and catch a shinkansen.
Now JR is offering special ticket and it's 10,000 from Ichinoseki to Tokyo.
We will arrive at Tokyo at 10pm or 11pm.<Accommodation>
I found a really cheap inn with onsen close to the volunteer center. It's just 1,500yen per person without meals. The rooms are small, but it's enough for sleeping. If there are more participants than I expect, some people will need to go to the base for volunteers. It's an abandoned school where you can sleep inside.<What to do>
Clean up rubble. There are many women volunteers and people over 50 years old. So you don't need any special skills or power.<What to bring>
Please bring all your gear. Standard gear is as follows.
- sleeping bag (please see the section Facility)
- some water and food (please see the section Facility)
- volunteer insurance
- towels for bath, sweat and rain
- helmet
- mask to block dust and smell
- goggles to protect eyes from dust (You may find goggles in 100yen shop)
- leather gloves and plastic gloves
- working cloths (thick and long sleeves)
- rain wear
- steel insole boots to avoid getting hurt by nails (there's no boots for women. the smallest size is 24cm. You can buy steel insoles only and put them in your rain boots. They have no or few sizes over 28cm)
The places I recommend to buy gear are as follows.
http://www.workman.co.jp/
http://www.mannen-ya.co.jp/
Workman is cheaper, but there's no shop in central Tokyo. Mannen-ya is expensive compared to Workman, but they give you good advice and if you tell them that you are going volunteering, they will give you work clothes as a gift.
In addition to the gear, you need to bring a sleeping bag, if you stay in the base for volunteers, and a soft mat for under the sleeping bag to sleep comfortably. We can buy food and water at Ichinoseki station and some shops on the way. If we are lucky, we can have dinner at a restaurant.
This page is very helpful for understand the gear.
http://team-nadia.org/%e3%83%9c%e3%83%a9%e3%83%b3%e3%83%86%e3%82%a3%e3%82%a2volunteering/%e5%8f%82%e5%8a%a0%e3%81%ab%e9%9a%9b%e3%81%97%e3%81%a6/<Itinerary>
8th
- Meet at 11:30pm at Shinjuku bus station. If you want, we can have dinner before that.

9th
- Arrive at Ichinoseki Station at 8am and rent a car
- Wash face and change cloths
- Drive for 2 hours to the volunteer center. Eat breakfast in the car
- Start to work from 10am
- Finish working at 3pm
- Go to inn and rest

10th
- Start to work at 9am
- Finish working at 3pm
- Stop by inn to take onsen quickly and change cloths
- drive back to Ichinoseki station and catch a shinkansen at 7 or 8pm
- arrive at Tokyo station at 10pm or 11pm
Last edited by Tomoko Mabuchi on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMI

Post by AMI »

Interesting. I'm thinking donating money from the distance only is not enough. Because I can not see the real victims. There are other volunteer working together and I don't need super physical power? I'll join with you.
I can't drive.
a paper driver.
I'll prepare the insurance and the bus ticket.
Last edited by AMI on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMI

Post by AMI »

Tomoko-san
So far only 2? :o
I will reserve the bus ticket after I get your message.

I think the deadline can be postponed to Thursday? 
1: The bus
    http://www.bus-ichiba.jp/schedule/cat635/down/#one

2: And the insurance ... I may take out an insurance at the office of Fukushihoken...
  is this ... http://www.fukushihoken.co.jp/pamphlet/ ... r.pdf&nbsp; ?
  From the next day of the contract and payment (< Y1000 )I can be eligible for it.

3: I got boots and masks Donkihote and Tokyuhands .. because there are shops near here.
Last edited by AMI on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomoko Mabuchi

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

Sorry for late reply.

So far, we are 6 including you. Other people are not OCJ members.

1. Bus
Please make a reservation for your seat. Last time it was booked out before Tuesday. Please do it ASAP. Or I will do that for you. If you need, let me know.

2. Insurance
If you can go there by yourself, it's great. If you wanna ask me, please e-mail about your full name, address, phone number and your course.

3. Gear
Did you get iron insole for your boats? It's essential for you to prevent getting injure. Please don't forget it.
AMI

Post by AMI »

1. The night bus. I reserved last night.
2. The insurance. Yesterday I took out it.
3. These boots are with steel soles I found them in Doki, less than 2000, but these will be OK.
Gloves are thick and made of rubber  strong at oil at Tokyu hands...
Masks and a goggle are not for anti poison type but I think they will be OK.
Got a helmet too.
I'll bring foods and drink...and some medicine for stomache etc.
Anything else?
AMI

Post by AMI »

rain gear both pants and a jacket... OK
Towels ... OK
Tomoko Mabuchi

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

If you can drive, please bring your driver's license just in case.
We may need nightwear. I will confirm it and tell you later.
AMI

Post by AMI »

That'll be perfect. I'm afraid I can't drive a car.  :-[
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

Hello,

Sorry about late reply, but I am really interested to go this week-end. Is it still ok for me to come with you guys ?
Please let me know if I have to book the insurance and the bus by my own, I think I can manage it.
Mai, dont worry I can also drive a car since French embassy gave me a translation, I am allowed.
Hope to see you this week-end.

Ben
Tomoko Mabuchi

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

Hi, Ben.
Thank you for your reply. There is still one spot, so you can join us!
I booked bus ticket for you. I need to go to the office to get insurance for my friends, so you can ask it to me, too.  If you wanna me to get your insurance, please let me know your full name, address, telephone number and the course you want to get via PM.
Looking forward to seeing you on Friday night.
Tomoko Mabuchi

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

Thakns, Ben.
I recodred your info, so if you don't like to show your info in this page, please remove your post.
There are 3 courses in insurance - 600, 1,000 and 1,400yen depending on amount of coverage. I got 1,400yen one and my 5 friends whom I brought last time got 1,400yen, too. This time some people will get 600yen one.

Cheers,
Tomoko
Tomoko Mabuchi

Post by Tomoko Mabuchi »

Hi.

This is my last announcement. We are 7 people.

1. Meeting point
Let's meet in front of Meiji Yasuda Seimei building, West exit of Shinjuku station, at 11:30PM of Friday.
http://www.bus-ichiba.jp/terminal/kanto/area09.html
If you get lost, please call me 090-...........

2. Money
to everyone
Rent-a-car  : 3,600yen
Hostel        : 1,500yen
Shinkansen :10,000yen
TOTAL        :15,100yen     

Options
Night bus : 3,800yen
Insurance : 1,400yen (I will go to the office to apply tomorrow. If you want to have cheaper ones, 600 or 1,000yen, let me know)

I'd like to collect money at Ichinoseki station when we arrive at. I calculated oil fee and included it in rent-a-car fee. I will adjust an account  after I pay oil fee.

3. Others
-It's better to bring your health insurance card just in case.
-If you can drive a car, please bring your driver license.
-Don't forget to bring rain wear. According to weather forecast, it will rain on Sun.
-Hostel offers ukata and towel, but it's better to bring another towel for Sun evening.
-You can buy your foods and drinks at shops in Tohoku, but please bring your breakfast for Sat at least.
-It will be hot, so please prevent yourself from heat stroke. See you tomorrow!
Tomoko
Last edited by Tomoko Mabuchi on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.