Mountain Navigation and Safety (Ropes, Rivers, Rescue)

Anyone can attend. Usually no event fee except if hire costs or overnight events.
Forum rules
We do not answer questions about your private holiday events
Anyone can attend - just reply to event topic.
You accept legal responsibility for yourself, your property, and travel arrangments if attending these events.
Andy OCJ
Registered
Nationality (国籍): British
Hiking Level: Advanced or high level (上級)

Mountain Navigation and Safety (Ropes, Rivers, Rescue)

Post by Andy OCJ »

Please reply if you are interested in mountain navigation - reading maps, using compass, navigating to points and measuring distance walked.

This would be part homework, maybe zoom or evening class in Tokyo. Then followed by exercises outside and then in the mountains.

Route Planning
How to calculate hiking times and select the best route for the weather and conditions. Alternatives to map times and online planners you can use yourself.

Leading Groups in the Mountains
Group management.

Emergency Procedures

Simple techniques using ropes to help people on steep ground, where there are landslides or damaged paths, when descending rocky areas is needed.
These are for unplanned situations for hikers - they are not rock climbing techniques.

River Crossings
Safe techniques.

Emergency
Help for people injured, suffering from exposure or other problems.
Kris110940
Free Member
Nationality (国籍): USA
Hiking Level: Above Beginner (初級上)

Post by Kris110940 »

I would definitely be interested!

Actually this morning I took an online workshop about compass reading and I was just thinking, "This would be so nice to practice this in real life with a group..."
shubhamk
Free Member
Nationality (国籍): India
Hiking Level: Experienced (経験)

Post by shubhamk »

I am Interested! Did some tracking on yamap on previous trails and would love to learn more.